‘I WAS A WRECK’ Tearful Dec hails fans in emotional speech after Saturday Night Takeaway | CCTV News

6
Published on 12 Tháng Tư, 2018

TEARFUL Declan Donnelly hailed the audience in an emotional speech after his Saturday Night Takeaway solo triumph, telling them: “I couldn’t have done it without you.”

The relieved star admitted he feared disaster hosting the ITV show minus pal Ant McPartlin, his telly sidekick of 29 years.

And Dec, 42, welled up off- camera as the strain of the past week caught up with him.

His incredible effort earned him a 94 per cent approval rating in a Sun poll — with viewers also backing a return for troubled Ant.

Minutes after they gave him a standing ovation, Dec told the studio audience: “It’s been the weirdest, weirdest show.

Soon after the show, watched by 8.1million viewers, Dec attended a wrap party for the production staff where they marked the last episode at ITV’s London Studios before it is demolished after 46 years.

Paying tribute to cast and crew, Dec added: “To all of tonight’s guests for coming down and spending Saturday night here. Thank you to our amazing production team.

“They carried me through the show.

“To all the crew and staff here at the London Studios, which has been our home, not just for tonight but for the last 20 years.

“We are going to miss this place enormously.

“We will never find a home like this so thank you.

“Goodnight, God bless, safe journey home.

“Happy Easter everybody.”

Dec was visibly tearful as he embraced friends and family including pregnant wife Ali Astall, 40.

He later tweeted: “Thanks for all your lovely messages tonight, they are VERY much appreciated.

“I’m glad you enjoyed the show. I didn’t sleep an awful lot last night, so I’m off to bed!”

The previous week’s show was cancelled in the wake of Ant’s drink-drive arrest a fortnight ago.

Bosses had considered axing the remainder of the series, but agreed to go ahead after Dec confirmed he felt he owed it to the audience and hundreds of competition winners to complete the run.

Our OnePoll survey of 1,000 viewers today provides overwhelming backing for him.

A massive 94 per cent said he did a good job in hosting Saturday’s show.

And 61 per cent thought Dec was just as good alone as he is with Ant by his side.

There was good news for Ant, too, with 74 per cent admitting they missed him.

And 41 per cent believe there is nobody suitable to replace Ant in TV’s most bankable duo.

Show regular Stephen Mulhern proved the most popular option as a possible stand-in with 23 per cent, followed by Holly Willoughby (ten per cent) and Scarlett Moffatt (eight per cent).

But fans are divided over whether they will be able to forgive Ant for his drink-driving charge.

Just under half said they will, 23 per cent say they cannot while 28 per cent were undecided.

Dec will host alone again for next weekend’s finale, live from Universal Studios in Florida.

Actress Denise Richards and pop favourite Craig David are booked as guests as producers look to end the series on a high.

The Sun previously revealed Ant, 42, is taking the rest of the year off.

He is due to appear at Wimbledon magistrates’ court on Wednesday over a crash in Richmond, South West London.

Dec will host Britain’s Got Talent on his own while a decision has yet to be made on I’m A Celebrity.

Category